Google

2008/01/21

Ask the Readers 1: Tiananmen Closed at Night?

I seem to be developing a bit of a readership, for the life of me I've yet to figure out why, but I deeply appreciate all those who come here and sometimes even find it necessary to comment on my crazy ramblings. That said, I want to especially thank zhwj for enlightening me about the "Chinese pizza" phenomenon, for those interested in trying them, I guess there still are a few stands alive and kicking at Xidan. I also want to thank Laura for her interesting story. I'm forced to do this in a post instead of in the comments section because I'm fighting the losing fight, still using blogspot, which is still blocked in the PRC.

Here goes part 1 in Ask the Readers, a new (ir)regular post where, when I don't know something about China and am willing to admit it, I turn to you, my dear readers for help and hope someone answers the call.

Despite living a stone's throw from Tiananmen Square, I've rarely ventured there over the past few months. On the two occasions that I have (both in the evening), I've been surprised to find the Square totally empty. The first time I thought it just might be too cold (but still, absolutely NO people?) or that there must be some kind of gathering that I hadn't heard about, but to have come across this situation again doesn't seem like a random occurrence.

So does anybody know about this? Has the government taken to closing down the Square to the public after dark as a potential Olympics protest or gathering spot precaution? Is this only for a winter cleanup in preparation for the Olympics? Is it just coincidence that I happened upon the Square the two times there have been large, unannounced events in the Great Hall?

Any answers to this (or other wild hypotheses) would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: