Google

2009/12/02

Mao Claus and the Commie Carol

I know the plan was to keep this blog focused on food and style, but sometimes I just can't help it. Is it just me or is China getting into the Christmas spirit in a unique way? I don't know about any other subway stations, but I've walked through the Guomao station (the Line 2 portion) a few times lately and heard muzak that sounded a lot like Christmas carols (lots of strings and horns, what sounds like 4 year olds singing, etc) except when I get closer and take a good listen, it turns out they are renditions of such classics as “Song for a Hero" (英雄赞歌) or "I Love You, Motherland" (我爱你,祖国).

There's nothing wrong with this except that its sudden appearance during the "holiday" season is really messing with my mind...

2 comments:

Dan said...

Nice to see you are back!

b. cheng said...

Thanks for your encouragement while I was away and I hope I'll continue to have your support in these "early" days for the blog.