Google

2007/08/08

Less Than A Year To Go...


I'm not retelling my 7/13 story because I'm starting to feel that its like a "when I was your age" kind of story. In any case, a lot of time has passed since that evening, a great one for the city of Beijing and China as a whole and for me personally, a night that was at once wonderful and yet horrible, but that is neither here nor there. By the way, the picture above isn't from 7/13 (I don't think any of those were digital pictures or, if so, they are long since lost), but instead its from the 2004 Asian Cup, but it does a good job capturing the madness and the patriotism that was seen on Beijing streets that night.

So now there is officially less than one year until the opening ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics. As usual I came late to the party and didn't submit an application to be a volunteer or for tickets, but hopefully I'll be able to pick up the garbage in the 2nd round of bidding and perhaps get some decent ones for the Paralympics or something...

In any case, there is much to be optimistic about, in most ways, Beijing is already ready to host the games, though there needs to be some changes in how the government/police handle protests and a loosening up about certain things, I have no doubt the Beijing games will be a huge success.

No comments: