Google

2007/03/06

(Chinese) R-O-C-K in the USA

Lonely China Day album cover
Every year we're graced by a few Chinese bands in the US who do a tour on their way to a performance at South by Southwest and this year is no different. This year the bands in question are Lonely China Day and Re-TROS (Rebuilding the Rights of Statues).

For those interested, here is their tour schedule:
03/02/07 - Des Moines, IA - Vaudeville Mews
03/03/07 - St. Paul, MN - Turf Club
03/04/07 - Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
03/05/07 - Chicago, IL - Schubas
03/06/07 - Newport, KY - Southgate House
03/08/07 - New York, NY - The Cake Shop
03/09/07 - Brooklyn, NY - Southpaw
03/10/07 - Richmond, VA - Gallery5
03/11/07 - Boone, NC - Black Cat Burrito
03/12/07 - Columbia, SC - The (art) Garage
03/14-18/07 - Austin, TX - SXSW, venues tba

Living in the hell that is suburbia made me late for the start of the show and I missed Lonely China Day, but Re-TROS did a great set and is definitely worth going to see. In searching them out, it also brought me across the Rock in China blog, well worth checking out!
While these guys are Chinese, don't expect anything like the music I've posted so far, their influences are all European and their songs are in English. I'll have more for you about the show soon

As usual, I'll leave you with some photos, though I must apologize for their quality. Those who've been regular visitors and seen the weekend photo threads and other pictures can probably tell I'm basically a crap photographer who gets lucky from time to time. Tonight, with the added element of the dark setting, was not one such time.

Re-TROS in concert
Lonely China Day in concert

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation in a true Lei Feng spirit. I have seen PK-14 CDs in stores. I will give them a try.

I heard a really great song on the radio the other day by Wan Xiaoli (万晓利) His style is very Unplugged-Nirvana. The song I heard is called "Fox" (狐狸)Great song.

b. cheng said...

Thank you for your own recommendation. I think I may have left it out last night, but another group you might find interesting is called Xingfu Dajie (幸福大街). I was given that recommendation from a friend who is a big Nirvana/Alice in Chains fan.

The problem is there are lots of interesting groups out there, but you aren't going to hear them on the radio. If you're in China, I'd say just check out as many of the shows as you can, some will be terrible, but every now and then you'll find something you love.